Written by Regina Brett, 90 years old, of the Plain Dealer, Cleveland, Ohio
“To celebrate growing older, I once wrote the 45 lessons life taught
me. It is the most-requested column I’ve ever written.”
My odometer rolled over to 90 in August, so here is the column once more:
1. Life isn’t fair, but it’s still good.
2. When in doubt, just take the next small step.
3. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone.
4. Your job won’t take care of you when you are sick. Your friends and
parents will. Stay in touch.
5. Pay off your credit cards every month.
6. You don’t have to win every argument.. Agree to disagree.
7. Cry with someone. It’s more healing than crying alone.
8. Its OK to get angry with God. He can take it.
9. Save for retirement starting with your first paycheck.
10. When it comes to chocolate, resistance is futile.
11. Make peace with your past so it won’t screw up the present.
12. Its OK to let your children see you cry.
13. Don’t compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey
is all about.
14. If a relationship has to be a secret, you shouldn’t be in it.
15. Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don’t worry; God never
16. Take a deep breath. It calms the mind & soothes the soul
17. Get rid of anything that isn’t useful, beautiful or joyful.
18. Whatever doesn’t kill you really does make you stronger.
19. It’s never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up
to you and no one else.
20. When it comes to going after what you love in life, don’t take no for an
21. Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy lingerie. Don’t
save it for a special occasion. Today is special.
22. Over prepare, then go with the flow..
23. Be eccentric now. Don’t wait for old age to wear purple.
24. The most important sex organ is the brain.
25. No one is in charge of your happiness but you.
26. Frame every so-called disaster with these words ‘In five years, will
27. Always choose life.
28. Forgive everyone everything.
29. What other people think of you is none of your business.
30. Time heals almost everything. Give time time.
31. However good or bad a situation is, it will change.
32. Don’t take yourself so seriously. No one else does.
33. Believe in miracles.
34. God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or
35. Don’t audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.
36. Growing old beats the alternative – dying young.
37. Your children get only one childhood.
38. All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
39. Get outside every day. Miracles are waiting everywhere.
40. If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else’s, we’d
grab ours back.
41. Envy is a waste of time.. You already have all you need.
42. The best is yet to come.
43. No matter how you feel, get up, dress up and show up.
44. Listen, yield and share hugs and knowledge with abandon.
45. Life isn’t tied with a bow, but it’s still a gift.”
And I’d like to add some of my own, from a 38 year old:
1]Get up, dress up, show up.
2] Never say no to work. No matter how boring it may seem, or how underpaid, or below your capabilities.
3] Respect your elders and listen when they talk. You’ll get to be an elder soon enough.
4] Your children are your chance at a second childhood. Enjoy them.
5] Eat whatever you like. But eat in moderation and make sure you work it off.
6] Always use sunscreen and a hat or an umbrella.
7] Take care of yourself (Especially for us women), no one else will.
8] Put your husband first. He came before the child and he will be with you after the child leaves the nest.
9]Dont talk with your mouth full.
10]If you cant say anything good about anyone, shut up.
11] Everyday, in every way, reaffirm to yourself that you are a wonderful person.
12] Try and help people. You never know when you will need some help yourself.
13] Cut out toxic people. Life is too short.
14] A relationship needs to be give and take. If you feel yours is all give and no take, its high time you got out of it.
15]Your body is a temple. Eat well. Sleep well. Exercise regularly.
16]Do one thing everyday that you look forward to.
17] A routine is very important for discipline, no matter how boring it may seem.
18] The world does not revolve around you.
19] Dont lie. No matter what.
20] Be gentle. Be polite. Be courteous. Be gracious. And when required, be a bitch.